Projects > Completed Projects

Questions regarding the move to new WAMO space

(1/3) > >>

Jeremy Briddle:
The open house for the space WAMO is offering us to move into (The Steinfeld Warehouse) is happening this weekend, Nov 10 and 11.

Let's put together a new topic of questions and information about the space.

David's original email:

--- Quote ---So I've been talking with some folks with the Warehouse Arts Management Organization (WAMO), a non-profit group that owns and operates a bunch of artists' spaces in the West University area.  They've recently acquired and fixed up a large warehouse at the corner of 9th avenue and 6th st, which they're looking for tenants at.  The place was essentially condemned when they got it, and have since fixed the structure up, with new mortar, new walls, new roof, etc.  But they need to raise more money to finish the restoration (they want a live/work/retail space).

Essentially, they might be willing to let us move into one of their larger areas (roughly 4000 square feet) in exchange for a nominal amount (one number that was suggested was ~$500 per month, roughly equal to their expenses from owning the place), AND our help, both in funding and labor, to make our section suitable for occupancy.  Primarily, this means putting in wiring throughout, and plumbing for the bathroom.

In about 18-24 months, when they envision raising all the money they need and finishing much of the renovation, they will move us to a similarly sized, slightly less desirable part of the building and charge roughly market rates (perhaps $0.45 per month per square foot, perhaps less). 
--- End quote ---

David's second email:

--- Quote ---First off, let me begin by pointing out that this place is like our current situation- one giant building that's subdivided into completely separate units.

It might be possible to move directly into the 2nd, less desirable spot (on the lower floor, with much lower ceilings).   It's below ground however, and so any bathroom down there (which doesn't exist yet) would require expensive pumps to drain sewage. 

On the other hand, the first spot has tall (maybe 16-18 foot?) ceilings with large loft storage areas.  It also has some subdividing walls (good for separating wood from metal from electronics).  Lastly, it's the only place in the whole building that has a bathroom, although it would still need some plumbing work.

And I'll reiterate that we would only be 'kicked out' of the first space once they've raised the ~$2M they think they need to do the renovations, and once they've gotten a good ways in.  And they'd still be willing to keep renting the 1st spot to us then- it's just that they'd want to charge us market rent by then, and the other place would be cheaper.
--- End quote ---

Jeremy Briddle:
Questions from Eli:

--- Quote ---- About how high would you estimate the "lower" ceilings to be?

- Since it's below ground, is there no daylight?

- How would it be cooled?

- Does that come with an outdoor/yard area where we can grow tomatoes, barbecue, convert cars to electric, run forges, etc.?
--- End quote ---

Connor's reply:

--- Quote ---8 foot ceilings. No daylight in one of the basement units, little daylight in the other. It isn't and probably wouldn't be cooled. They all share the same large common area that we could use for projects for the foreseeable future although I'm not sure about the electric car.
--- End quote ---

David:

--- Quote ---Connor is describing it as-is, although it is my understanding they intend to excavate the dirt surrounding the lower floor to put in windows and such.  And we wouldn't be moving into this other unit until they'd have done much of the renovation.  And I get the impression they wouldn't object if we put in some windows ourselves.

I'm not sure what their plans are regarding HVAC.  There is currently nothing- no heat, AC, or swamp cooling.  We'd be moving in January at the earliest, so heating would probably be our first concern. 

The area is essentially 'U' shaped, and the courtyard is as-yet unfinished.  We'd be allowed to do whatever we want in there until they start fixing it up- parking, casting, etc.  We would still be OK to work out there later on, but it would have to be in a way that's considering of others. 

However, they have a row of large 'sheds' (which makes up one leg of the 'U') which we would be able to use part of- they envision it as a semi-outdoors work area for pottery kilns, blacksmithers, welding, and other tasks ill-suited to taking place in an enclosed area.
--- End quote ---

Vincent:

--- Quote ---I would also be wise to consider the specifications of the concrete slab.  Some of our equipment (current and hopefully future) is very heavy.
--- End quote ---

Jeremy Briddle:
Robbie:

--- Quote ---I might recommend we make a check list on the Wiki or forum of things we should check out during open day. Things like floor type, power available, cooling methods, ect should be added.
--- End quote ---

GOOD IDEA! ;D

David:

--- Quote ---We have to do everything to code- I doubt WAMO would be particularly flexible there.  However, there *are* ways to make life easier- for instance placing fewer electrical outlets, then running extension cords.

Also, it is my understanding that there is NO electrical connection to the grid right now.  The silver lining is that we can thus request whatever we want, e.g. 3-phase.

The building is old, and its semi-basement area is a common feature of old houses pre-dating air conditioning- it helps balance out the heat.

Nonetheless, it will be expensive to cool- but I think we can probably live without running the cooler (it will almost certainly be a swamp cooler, not A/C) when we're not there.  I'm envisioning a few large swamp coolers lining one side of the building- and when people show up to open, they just switch them all on (and open windows on the opposite side).  Less than ideal, but quite workable- and *much* cheaper.
--- End quote ---

Vincent:

--- Quote ---Ah yes, humidity and rust, summer will be so much fun.

I'd have to argue against the extension cord idea.  Big time safety issues with lots of extension cords.  They are both a trip hazard and a fire hazard.

Not trying to be negative.  I am absolutely on the side of additional space, and I love the idea of something that we can build out in a way that suits us.  For example, running the electrical such that we can pull a breaker that kills most of the lights and the "industrial" power while leaving the servers and 3D printers, etc up.

We should also consider the cooling needs of any servers when we put in the HVAC.

I had missed the basement talk earlier when talking about the requirements for the slab.  Some of the heavy industrial equipment might exceed the floor loading specs of anything but the basement.  Anyone know any engineers that could help us out?

I know when my current employer moved into our current space, we could not put our data center on the second floor.  The weight of the UPS batteries and the CRAC (computer room A/C) units exceeded the capacity of the floor.
--- End quote ---

David:

--- Quote --- I had envisioned a vaguely not insane setup with extension cords, i.e. running them along the ceiling and having them drop where needed.  Still temporary (and thus free of permitting issues, I believe), but not inordinately inconvenient.

Since the space they intend to give us at first is upstairs, I had the same concern regarding heavy equipment.  The planning/architect/engineer guy giving us the tour laughed it off.  He says the floors are like 6" solid old-growth wood.  The building was designed as a freight warehouse, after all- and everything came off the trains into that top floor.  Still worth double checking, but I wouldn't be super concerned.
--- End quote ---

Jeremy Briddle:
David's email after the meeting with the WAMO people on Wednesday:

--- Quote ---I missed the beginning, but it seems like we're all on the same page.  I think everyone wants this to happen- the only question is about the details.  How much would they need to charge us in rent?  And perhaps more importantly, how much money and labor are required to get the unit ready for a certificate of occupancy? If the whole plumbing system needs to be redone at a cost of $20,000, then who pays?  We know that we'll have to come up with a decent amount of money up front to do renovations (internal electrical installation, at the very least), but there's obviously a limit.

Connor, Alex, and I have all agreed that we might be willing to make interest-free loans to Xerocraft to help pay for some of these improvements, if the circumstances require.  We also shouldn't discount the possibility of outside fundraising.

For now, the idea is that everyone should go down to the warehouse saturday or sunday to check the place out- they've got an open house going most of the day.

Then Leon and I will go to WAMO's next board meeting (the saturday of thanksgiving), where we'll give a more official introduction.  Jim, their building manager/planner, will try to get all the information we need about required renovations by then, as well.  The hope is that we'll know enough about the details to plan out who's doing what.
--- End quote ---

scuba840@yahoo.com:
This place has a corner side retail/corner exposure opportunity...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=101+W+6th+St&hl=en&ll=32.22763,-110.973305&spn=0.001216,0.001742&sll=32.229318,-110.92495&sspn=0.137225,0.196037&t=h&hnear=101+W+6th+St,+Tucson,+Pima,+Arizona+85701&z=20&layer=c&cbll=32.22764,-110.973462&panoid=VdeGI0Am5Pf84Q0qb7yTOQ&cbp=12,223.59,,0,2.39

--- Quote from: Jeremy Briddle on November 09, 2012, 02:55:32 pm ---The open house for the space WAMO is offering us to move into (The Steinfeld Warehouse) is happening this weekend, Nov 10 and 11.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version