Author Topic: Run both ethernet and DSL phone over one Cat5 cable?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Ford Prefect

• View Profile
    • About me
Run both ethernet and DSL phone over one Cat5 cable?
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:48:09 pm »
The DSL comes down from the attic into the living room, to a combined DSL modem and WiFi router. I want to patch Ethernet back into, send it back up, the same cable that the DSL came down on.

Is it a bad idea even to try?

Pro: I'd rather avoid pulling cable vertically, up through a strange wall in an old brick house. The top of this wall, where the cable enters the attic, has very little headroom -- maybe 18-24 inches.

Cons:
1. I'd still have to get to either end, and I may have to cut shielding, resulting in interference and, presumably, reduced data rates.
2. As alternative, I may be able to use the existing cable to pull a new cable up (or down), then pull it (the original) back down (or up).
3. I want to inject PoE (power over Ethernet) into this cable, which may complicate things down the line when someone is messing with the cable end that terminates in the phone company's box.

This guy has combined them both onto one cable, but to me it looks very "ghetto":
http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-House-Run-both-ethernet-and-phone-over-/?ALLSTEPS 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:35:26 am by Ford Prefect »

Offline Robbie L

• Administrator
  • All must obey gravity!
    • View Profile
    • Main Page
Re: Run both ethernet and DSL phone over one Cat5 cable?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »
Do not do that. Those cables are so close in the jacket you would probably get all sorts of interference. Yes, the twisted pair helps reject external magnetic noise, but its not the best, especially at that range.
My Twitter
*To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Offline Ford Prefect

• View Profile
    • About me
Re: Run both ethernet and DSL phone over one Cat5 cable?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:21:29 pm »
Thanks, Robbie.

I guess I should just be glad that there was already a cable there (the original Cat5) so that I can use the original to pull the new, alongside it.  They'll run parallel & adjacent but at least there'll be a bit more separation between the pairs -- maybe 5-10mm. (Normal Cat5 doesn't have any shielding, but there is a shielded version, right?  I will study up on which situations require the shielded version.) 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:35:41 am by Ford Prefect »