Author Topic: Wood/Metal Workshop rules  (Read 1762 times)

Offline JoeEagar

• View Profile
Wood/Metal Workshop rules
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:06:58 pm »
Is there a set of rules for working in the workshop?  Who does the tool maintenance (I can do maintenance tasks on woodworking tools)?  Is it okay to do a maintenance task oneself if it needs doing, or is there someone assigned who must do it?  Are there rules for using the assembly table (that big square ply table), like a time limit on leaving projects on it?

What about the SawStop?  Can any member use it?  I noticed it seemed a bit lonely when I was at Xerocraft last week.

Also, I noticed that the jointer is reaaallly fine-tuned.  I assume that means whoever tuned it won't want other people messing with it.  I'm perfectly happy to let that person retune it if gets out of whack (jointer tuning is my least favorite maintenance task), unless I'm the one who made it that way, of course.

Finally, I saw a bunch of handplanes.  I'd be surprised if they're open to all members (at least not without proving to whomever owns them that one knows how to use them), but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Offline vinceg

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wood/Metal Workshop rules
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:54:10 am »
If you know how to properly do tool maintenance, you are welcome to do so.  If you you really don't know how to maintain a tool (for example you don't know which of the three types of oil to use on the spindle for the mill), you should ask someone that does know.

If you know how to properly sharpen a drill bit or chisel, and it needs sharpening, by all means you should do so.  If not, it is best to ask someone to teach you how.

Any member can use the SawStop, but again, if you don't know how it works, especially how to test materials to see if they will trigger it, you should aks someone to give you a quick lesson.

I can't speak to the hand planes specifically, but I can say for the metal shop, you are welcome to use any of the hand tools at your risk, and to the limits of your knowledge.  If you break it, you will be expected to replace it.  You must be checked out on the Mill and Lathe - which just involves convincing someone that knows how to use them well enough that they are willing to approve you that you know what you are doing.  Classes are held more or less on demand.  Meaning when I hear that enough people are interested in a class, I schedule one.

Please understand that most of the equipment at Xerocraft belongs to members and treat it with respect.

Offline JoeEagar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:23:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Are you doing any classes on using the mill anytime soon?  That's sometime I need to learn (the next time I have to use a cold chisel to cut a square hole in a piece of metal. . .).

By the way, is there anything to heat up metal (for annealing and shaping it)?

Offline andy barss (bookmatch)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »
I would also be interested in a class/tutorial on the mill. (I visited this evening, and will be joining as a member). I'm familiar with the basic principles, but not details of operation.